Friday, March 28, 2014

Consumers hitting YouTube in the offseason


A hunter’s winter and early spring months often know the late as the offseason no many season are open for hunting and fishing isn’t very good yet.  So what do the hunters, fisherman/women, and outdoors people do to satisfy their urges of hunting and fishing.  Like any athlete would in the offseason they also prepare for the hunting seasons and one common way is to brush up on their skills.  YouTube offers thousand of informative videos on such as how to properly use hunting calls or different fishing strategies.  Outdoorsmen and women can pick up new tricks from these FREE videos that beat the alternative of buying the same informational DVDs from sporting good stores.  YouTube can also be used to preview and evaluate products that you may be thinking about purchasing for the next hunting season.  I have used YouTube in the past to get new ideas for making my coyote hunts more successful. 
This free knowledge beats buying a coyote hunting DVD or book and is faster than searching magazines. 

I also used this technique when deciding on a grunt call that I wanted to buy, and after finding the grunt call I found an information video on how to properly use the call. 

Companies can also use YouTube to advertise the features and success that their product offers.  In the link above the company Illusion Systems has a YouTube page where they take advantage of the free video service, which is very, beneficial to the customer as well as the company as if enough people become subscribers they could actually make money.  Companies using YouTube is an excellent example of a Win-Win situation for the company and the consumer.

2 comments:

  1. Preston
    I am a huge YouTuber myself. I often times find myself on Youtube whenever I need to learn something. I actually taught myself how to trap all types of animals off of Youtube and now I am an avid trapper. I am even starting to upload my own videos in hopes of teaching other people how to trap as well. From this business side of Youtube, I think it is genius. This is a medium in which retailers can direct market to consumers based on videos they have searched for. I can imagine Youtube ads going up in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using YouTube is a great marketing tool for different companies, especially if their target audiences are big YouTube users. I also have used YouTube many times to do research before beginning a project or trying to figure out if I should purchase a particular product or not. It's a win-win situation for the most part, unless the company faces any negative video posts from disgruntled customers. If you're a savvy shopper though and rely a lot on reviews, it's quite easy to discern between the disgruntled customer who was expecting way too much, and the individual who legitimately had something to complain about. I think businesses could really benefit from posting informational & useful videos on YouTube especially to build brand awareness and customer loyalty. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete